Affectionately known as Studewood.
History: Independence Heights was founded in 1908 as an area dedicated to Black land
ownership. Wright Land Company distrubted lots for Black Americans to live, create businesses,
and start families. The area became the first incorporated community for Black Americans and
By 1915 the area served more than 600 Black families.
The 1920s proved lucrative for the many 400 businesses developed by residents.